Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/656/11101
Discussing an electoral challenge to service cutters
On 18 January the general secretary of the FBU firefighters' union, Matt Wrack, visited Rugby fire station.
Subjects discussed included pensions, job losses, cuts and the general undermining of the service. Though the content was quite bleak, he delivered an uplifting speech which urged members to stick together.
Warwickshire FBU are considering putting up candidates in the local elections to stand against county councillors who voted to close fire stations after expressing support for the firefighters at those stations.
Warwickshire FBU hope to be able to work with other unions and groups and raise awareness of the threat that the Tory councillors' policies of cutting vital services poses to the people of Warwickshire.
Steve Roberts, Chair Warwickshire FBU
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 2 February 2011:
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party NHS campaign
Socialist Party news and analysis
Socialist Party feature
Socialist Party youth and students
Socialist Party workplace news
Socialist Party Marxist analysis