Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/684/12723
Workplace News in brief
NSSN lobby of the TUC
On 11 September the National Shop Stewards Network is organising a lobby of the TUC, demanding they call a one-day public sector general strike.
Transport details are as follows: From the North East: Newcastle Central Station, 7am picking up in Durham 7.30am and Teesside, Middlesbrough 8am. Cost £10 unwaged or low waged, £20 waged. To book email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Paul on 07989806104
West Midlands: phone Lenny 07530429441
Southern: phone Keiran 07814184624
Wales: phone Rob 07541145108 South West: phone Dominico 07786926585
Yorkshire: phone 07706710041 All other regions email email@example.com
Wyndeham Impact, Basingstoke
Workers at the Impact printers in Basingstoke, members of Unite, have been forced to strike after a long list of attacks by management. The long-established magazine printing company has been in trouble since the collapse of the Icelandic Landsbanki and the management have been trying to make the workers bear the brunt of this. There have been wage cuts, sick pay cuts, holiday cuts and compulsory redundancies.
- Please send messages of support to the chapel rep at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donations to the strike fund can be made c/o Steve Attwill, Unite, Transport House, 15-16 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1XF
Socialist Party member Onay Kasab has been informed by the Unison leadership that his appeal against expulsion from the union has failed.
He was accused of 'bringing the union into disrepute' by allegedly encouraging Greenwich Unison members to leave and join Unite. Unison were unable to provide any evidence of this.
Unison members have left the union, sickened by the way the branch has been run by the regional officials.
Since the branch has been taken over by the full time officials no effective campaign against cuts in jobs and services has been mounted and there have been no democratic elections of branch officials.
A fuller report will be in next week's Socialist.
Unilever pension strike
Members of Unite, GMB and Usdaw are balloting for strike action against Unilever's plans to close its final salary pension scheme to existing members. A consultative ballot showed only 22 out of 1,459 workers responding being prepared to accept the company's plans. 5,000 of the 7,000 workforce are involved.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 7 September 2011:
Action to defeat the cuts!
The Socialist editorial
Socialist Party news and analysis
Socialist Party feature
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Socialist Party workplace news
Socialist Party youth and students
Socialist Party review
International socialist news and analysis