Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/14722
Posted on 19 June 2012 at 12:13 GMT
London: Emergency lobby of Kazakhstan embassy
Thursday 21st June 2012
Outside the Kazakhstan embassy, 33 Thurloe Square, London SW7 2SD, nearest tube South Kensington.
This protest is to condemn the latest clampdown on individuals opposed to the Kazakh regime and demand their release.
A famous and popular independent theatre director and performer, Bolat Atabayev, who openly spoke out against the dictatorship in Kazakhstan, was arrested on 15 June.
He has been charged with 'inciting social discord' in Zhanaozen where the massacre of striking oil-workers and their supporters took place in December.
With him was a young journalist, Zhanbolat Mamaia. Both of them are being sent by road from Almaty to Aktau to stand trial.
The conditions of the journey - the heat and the discomfort could kill Bolat. His relatives fear for his health because he suffers from insulin-dependent diabetes. His brother was stopped from giving him the medicines he needs to take every day.
- Demand the immediate release of Bolat Atabayeva, Zhanbolat Mamaia and all political prisoners in Kazakhstan!
- Build support for the Kazakhstan workers' movement and an end to the Nazarbayev dictatorship!
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041