Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/18587
Transport for London strike
Transport for London staff are striking for 24 hours on Friday 9th May over attacks on their pay and pensions.
RMT, TSSA and Unite members are taking this action in protest at TfL's plans to impose what amounts to a performance-related pay freeze and savage cuts to pension rights.
The attacks that TfL is looking to bulldoze through would mean:
- Non-consolidated, lump sum one-off pay rises that would not count towards pensionable pay
- A knock on impact that would lead to reduced final salary pensions
- An immediate pay freeze - stretching over the next five years - for at least 50% of staff
- The annual pay round placed at the discretion of managers and no longer fully negotiated with the recognised staff unions
- Pay rises determined by punitive and discriminatory individual "performance" processes that would unleash a tidal-wave of bullying and harassment.
The impetus behind management's proposals is purely and simply cash-led cuts, a situation that will become worse over the forthcoming years as there are further reductions in TfL's grant.