Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/913/23429
Local estate agents back Butterfields tenants
Waltham Forest Trades Council
Estate agents are not generally known to turn down business. And with the property market in Walthamstow, east London booming, tenants and supporters of Butterfields did wonder what kind of response they might get on their "estate agent crawl". This was to ask estate agents not to get involved in selling any flats in Butterfields if offered by their asset-stripping landlords.
Immoral and unjust
14 estate agents were visited, handed letters and tenants explained the issues. "It's immoral and unjust" they told the estate agents "for a company to buy 63 flats with the sole intention of turning the tenants out onto the streets."
One admitted to us they had been approached but refused business because they had heard of our campaign.
Others knew of the company as disreputable and would not touch them or had got involved and then withdrawn because it would damage their community standing.
One offered to help if we encountered trouble! Not one was hostile.
Foxtons, who had previously advertised one flat and received a strong protest letter from the tenants association, have now withdrawn the advert. What a result!
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 24 August 2016:
Socialist Party news and analysis
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist readers' comments
Workplace news and analysis
Save our NHS
Socialist Party reports and campaigns