Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/922/23833
Why I joined the Socialist Party: "I really can't wait for Socialism 2016"
Calvin Fowler, Worcestershire Socialist Party
I'm a new Socialist Party member, joining in July of this year, but I started attending Worcestershire Socialist Party weekly branch meetings in May. Since I left school in 1988, I've worked in the printing industry, and in 1996 I joined the then GPMU union, now Unite, becoming a union rep in 2001.
I started thinking of joining the Socialist Party a few years ago after seeing stories of people oppressed by the 1% both internationally and locally. In spring of this year I came across the party website, I read various interesting articles, entered my details and was contacted by Pete McNally, a local member.
I attended the meetings that followed and I felt I was among like-minded people. I was given a lot of food for thought by members and the paper. I absorbed the pamphlets given to me, I ordered a few myself from the Socialist Party book shop and now I am a very active member.
I recently set up our Worcestershire Socialist Party Facebook page and I've just been appointed branch fighting fund organiser when I went to Birmingham to attend the West Midlands Socialist Party finance and paper meeting. I found it really interesting.
I'm so glad I joined, I wish I had back in 1996! I really can't wait for Socialism 2016, see you there!
- For more details and to buy your ticket go to socialism2016.net
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 26 October 2016:
Socialist Party NHS campaign
Socialist Party news and analysis
Corbyn & Labour
Jarrow March for Jobs 2011
Socialist Party workplace news
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party comments and reviews