Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/938/24812
Southern Rail strike continues
The RMT Southern Rail guards picket line was out again in force outside Victoria station for the latest strike on 22 February. RMT members were buoyed up by the vote of Aslef drivers to reject the rotten deal as well as by the continuing public support they are getting from rail users and passers-by.
See socialistparty.org.uk/articles/24653 for more on the dispute.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 1 March 2017:
Socialist Party women
What we think
Socialist Party feature
Workplace news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Socialist readers' comments and reviews