Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/25918
Posted on 1 August 2017 at 13:24 GMT
Bank of England fair pay strike
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell with Bank of England strikers, 1.8.17, photo by Judy Beishon (Click to enlarge)
Unite members at the Bank of England are striking for three days from Tuesday 1st August for a pay rise. Many of the staff who keep the building running - doing jobs like maintenance - have had no pay rise for two years and the management is refusing to discuss it.
On Thursday 3rd August the Bank of England strikers will be linking up with strikers at Barts NHS trust (employees of Serco) and the British Airways mixed fleet cabin crew:
- 8am - Protest at Serco shareholders' meeting: assemble at JP Morgan, 60 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0JP
- 10.30am - March to the Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, EC2R 8AH where there will be a rally at 1pm.
- 2.30pm - March to the Civil Aviation Authority, 45-59 Kingsway, London WC2B 6TE, arriving there around 3.30pm.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041