Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1005/27781
London cleaners' coordinated strike
Low-paid cleaners at five different sites in London took coordinated strike action for the London Living Wage and sick pay. The workers in the United Voices of the World union walked out at the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and Kensington and Chelsea council on 7 August.
The outsourced cleaners argue that the MoJ and the council are responsible for their pay: "The companies always say we can't change your pay because it is in the contract with the MoJ", said one.
Another said: "You have to find a way to survive. But £7.83 an hour is not enough. You have to pay rent. You have to pay bills. You have to pay transport."
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 8 August 2018:
What we think
Socialist Party news and analysis
Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
Workplace news and analysis
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns