Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1013/28068
From The Socialist newspaper, 10 October 2018
Them & Us
- Misogynist Brett Kavanaugh is now a US Supreme Court judge - despite facing multiple allegations of sexual assault, and crying, screaming and extolling the virtues of beer in the job interview. All it takes is a private school and Yale education, and a career attacking women and workers from the bench.
- Sprucing up your front room this autumn? How about a black-and-white chair covered with an unpublished avant-garde line drawing by graphic artist Max Huber? Just £3,750.
- With at least 4,000 bosses now worth over $20 million, personal wealth in India is on course to exceed Switzerland and Hong Kong by 2022, says Boston Consulting Group. 732 million people in India don't even have a toilet, according to WaterAid.
Sexist, anti-worker bully Brett Kavanaugh (Click to enlarge)
... & us
- Families will lose out on £200 a month due to 'universal credit' welfare 'reforms', according to a Tory cabinet briefing. Labour shadow chancellor John McDonnell has at last said that "pause and fix" is not enough. Scrap universal credit!
- Before the 2007-08 Great Recession, real wages doubled every 29 years on average. Now they'll take 97 years to double, says the Resolution Foundation.
- A minimum of 449 homeless people died last year while on the streets, sofa surfing, or in emergency accommodation, says the Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
- Greece's death rate soared by 17.6% in the six years following crucifying EU-enforced austerity in 2010, writes Larry Elliott in the Guardian.
Why not click here to join the Socialist Party, or click here to donate to the Socialist Party.
In The Socialist 10 October 2018:
What we think
Tories' crisis conference - Corbyn must fight for general election
Workplace news and analysis
We need democratic, rank-and-file leadership to win national UCU disputes
First coordinated catering and courier strike whets workers' appetite for action
Another first: pub strike victory in south London!
Cable makers strike against real-terms pay cut
Strike raises pay at Liverpool airport
South Western rail guards hit 18 strike days
Socialist Party news and analysis
Fight the right
12 years to halt irreversible climate disaster. Capitalism's time is up
8,000 Glasgow workers plan historic mass strike
Super-rich flee to Monaco to evade Corbyn
Workers in UK do £1.2trn of unpaid housework and care
Workers' action wins Amazon pay rise
Them & Us
Fight racism: fight for jobs, homes and services for all
25 years since 50,000 marched against the far-right threat
International socialist news and analysis
Polarisation, risks and resistance in Brazilian elections
Mexico: socialists violently attacked by gangs - urgent solidarity needed
Ireland: 10,000 march for homes in Dublin
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Liverpool 47 plaque: "Better to break the law, than break the poor"
Palestinian solidarity: "We are not victims. We are freedom fighters."
Leicestershire: stop the cuts to our hospital services
Save Huddersfield Royal Infirmary - the fight goes on
Finance - a crucial component of socialist campaigns
The murky world of the 'Big Four' accountancy firms
The Socialist Inbox
The Socialist 10 October 2018 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 0798 202 1969
East Mids: 0773 797 8057
London: 020 8988 8786
North East: 0784 114 4890
North West 07769 611 320
South East: 020 8988 8777
South West: 07759 796 478
Southern: 07833 681910
Wales: 07935 391 947
West Mids: 02476 555 620
Yorkshire: 0114 264 6551