Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1028/28632
North West Socialist Party conference in good spirits for building in 2019
The Socialist Party's North West region held a very successful conference on Saturday 2 February, with nearly 50 members attending from across the region.
Rob Williams from the party's executive committee introduced a useful debate on the current political situation in Britain, which focussed on Brexit and the trade unions.
The afternoon's workshops on recruitment, local elections, trade unions, and finance were all well-attended. Regional reports were well-received, and the regional officers were re-elected unanimously.
The enthusiasm of members for building the party was shown not only in the financial appeal, which raised very nearly £1,000, but also in that we ran out of copies of the guide to being a branch organiser! More have been ordered, and we are in good spirits for building the party in the region in 2019.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 6 February 2019:
What we think
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
International socialist news and analysis