Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1030/28722
Lincoln students back UCU ballot
On the evening of the 28 January, Lincoln Socialist Students organised a meeting on the University and College Union ballot currently underway.
We had a speaker from the union who gave an overview of the reasons for the ballot and what a 'Yes' and 'Yes' vote (for refusal to mark work and strike action, respectively) would mean. The event had a good attendance and it was agreed that a 'Lincoln Students Support the Lecturers' group should be formed to support lecturers and to increase the understanding of the students as to why it is important, and to support during the strikes should they occur.
A date has been set for the first round of leafleting and there is an enthusiasm among the group that we can grow the solidarity group and, hopefully, in turn grow the membership of Socialist Students.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 20 February 2019:
Youth climate strikes
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns