Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1032/28797
Them & Us
Profits for housebuilders...
Persimmon has made the biggest ever profit by a UK housebuilder - with almost half of its house sales made through the taxpayer-funded help-to-buy scheme.
The profits of £1.09 billion is a result of money made from each house it sells nearly tripling since 2013, when the government introduced the help-to-buy scheme in an attempt to help struggling families buy their first home.
This shows the scheme, as we said at the time, wouldn't go to help workers and young people afford housing but has instead lined the pockets of the bosses.
...homelessness for us
As the bosses rake in government money and turn it into huge profits it is estimated around 100,000 children are waking up in B&Bs and other temporary accommodation every morning as the lack of affordable housing bites.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 6 March 2019:
What we think
International Women's Day 2019
Socialist Party reports and campaigns