Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1033/28836
From The Socialist newspaper, 13 March 2019
PCS union elections: Huge support for Chris Baugh
PCS assistant general secretary Chris Baugh at the National Gallery picket, 3.2.15, photo Rob Williams (Click to enlarge)
Marion Lloyd, PCS national executive committee (personal capacity)
The PCS civil servants' union elects its assistant general secretary (AGS) every five years and its national executive committee annually. The ballot for these positions takes place 16 April to 19 May.
At the close of nominations, Socialist Party member and current AGS, Chris Baugh, had received 87 branch nominations. Socialist Party members Marion Lloyd and Dave Semple received nominations for re-election to the NEC.
All three will be standing on a platform which includes:
- Full support for the union's 2019 pay claim of 10% (£2,400 a year cash underpin) and a return to national bargaining on pay and conditions
- Full support for the pay ballot for strike action to support the claim, which takes place 18 March to 29 April
- Union officials to be accountable through periodic election
- All major decisions to be made through the elected lay structures
- Commitment to the removal of all barriers to equality at work, within the union and in society more generally
- Support for the election of a Corbyn-led Labour government, but with the right to support candidates who support us
Before his election as AGS in 2004, Chris Baugh was a leading rank-and-file left activist in the union for many years. He played a direct and major part in democratising the union and fighting the right wing.
Chris has successfully stood three times for re-election as AGS. He stands this time not only on his record as an activist but also on his achievements as AGS. These include green jobs and climate change, challenging discriminatory employment practices and helping to stabilise union finances following Tory attacks on check-off.
Chris is the Left Unity candidate in the AGS election. He faces a challenge from two other candidates, one a member of an ultra-left group and the other a non-Left Unity member and union full-time officer. The 87 nominations for Chris Baugh shows the widespread support he has among the union's lay activists.
They will fight for his re-election and that of the Democracy Alliance NEC slate.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
In The Socialist 13 March 2019:
Anger after violent youth deaths - Communities need public services not cuts
Weak Tories must go. General election now!
Them & Us
History: Alice Wheeldon - an anti-war socialist persecuted by the state
The Socialist Inbox
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
International Women's Day protests
For socialist change, not climate change!
Southampton: Socialist stand against cuts
No to racism - Fight for socialism
Memorial to working-class fighters who fought fascism
What we think
Only socialist planning can save the planet: Build a mass working-class struggle to achieve it!
Neither Tories or EU - only fighting trade unions and a Corbyn-led government can deliver workers' rights
PCS union elections: Huge support for Chris Baugh
Newark NSK strike: "Even Victorian workers got a day off each week. We're expected to have just one weekend off every three weeks"
Breaking news: Birmingham bin workers' strike suspended pending new deal
Workplace news in brief
Tories out. Scrap Universal Credit. Fight for living wages and welfare!
International socialist news and analysis
Brazil: The Threats, attacks and contradictions of Bolsonaro's regime
Obituary Joan Beale - Labour women's activist and Militant supporter
The Socialist 13 March 2019 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook