Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1037/28959
Support the Glasgow Airport pay and pensions strike
Socialist Party Scotland
Unite union members at Glasgow Airport are to strike for 24 hours from 4am on 16 April to 4am on 17 April. Hundreds of airport workers voted 95% for industrial action, on a 75% turnout.
There is further action planned over the spring and summer. Socialist Party Scotland gives full solidarity and support.
Correctly there is a programme of strike action and an overtime ban up until October to respond to massive attacks by bosses at owner AGS Airports.
A paltry 1.8% pay 'rise' offer, really representing a cut, is combined with the closure of the final-salary pension scheme.
Workers at Aberdeen Airport, also owned by AGS, are being balloted over attacks on pensions and pay. Unite should coordinate the action, and look at involving AGS workers at Southampton Airport.
AGS bosses clearly want a 'race to the bottom' in pay and conditions. We fight for a socialist alternative, where the top 150 companies and banks, along with key infrastructure such as aviation, are brought into public ownership under democratic management by the working class...
- Read the full story at socialistpartyscotland.org.uk
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 10 April 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party news and analysis
Workplace news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns