Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1044/29173
Them & us
Queen for EU
Almost every major institution of world capitalism lined up behind the bosses' European Union and its forerunners. The queen, however, has long maintained her usual aloof silence on the matter.
Now diplomatic cables from 1988 published by Germany's Spiegel magazine reveal the monarchy also backed the anti-worker single market. The German ambassador reported the queen's support.
Elizabeth II joins Thatcher, Blair and Obama; the UN, World Bank, and International Monetary Fund; the main British bosses' organisations CBI, BCC and IOD; and the vast majority of the billionaires and bankers. Even the pope has praised the neoliberal project.
Perhaps the only remaining establishment organisation which has not openly declared for the EU is the Scout Association.
Work till you die
The number of people over 70 still working has more than doubled in the last decade of austerity. The 135% rise means the proportion of over-70s at work has also grown, from one in 22 to nearly one in 12.
Volunteering group Rest Less, which requested the data from the ONS, points out the health benefits of continuing some level of work into retirement.
This is no doubt true. But charity Independent Age notes that one in six pensioners now live in poverty - and numbers are rising.
Continued, fulfilling work should be a choice available to all. So should a restful retirement. Neither is on offer with poverty pensions and wages. Take the wealth off the super-rich - fight for decent jobs and homes for all, with living wages and pensions.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 29 May 2019:
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party news and analysis
Workplace news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns