Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1047/29276
Worcester: Building on our successful library campaign
Ruthie McNally, Worcester Socialist Party
Worcester Socialist Party did another door-to-door paper sale on the back of the article of our success in the St John's library campaign (see socialistparty.org.uk).
We decided to cover the blocks of flats in the St John's area given our wonderful weather at the moment!
The flats are sheltered accommodation for the elderly so many have disabilities. It was quite easy to sell the paper as most had heard about the campaign.
We also handed out our leaflets explaining the campaign success but also warned that there were no guarantees the money would be there for long, so the fight would continue. Moreover, the council is making cuts elsewhere.
I talked to one resident about the firefighters' campaign. Hereford and Worcester Fire Authority is proposing a cut of 60% in full-time firefighters at night in the two counties, alongside other reductions in service. Firefighters produced a petition and a response to the 'consultation' and we also put out a leaflet and petition on our stalls.
Another resident wanted us to push for a mobile library service to the flats (as we had been successful with our campaign) due to many residents not being able to access the local one.
The local councillor also got praise from some of the residents as he'd said he had been part of the campaign - unfortunately we never got to see him!
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 19 June 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns