Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1059/29692
Vote for socialist fighter Jared Wood in RMT elections
Socialist Party member Jared Wood is standing for the RMT transport union's national executive committee in the London transport region. He is standing on a programme of:
- Fair pay for London Underground workers
- A four-day working week
- Fighting Transport for London cuts
Jared says: "My record shows that I can unite grades and members involved in different disputes and develop an industrial strategy to put maximum pressure on employers and win our demands.
"I will ensure that we do everything possible to defend jobs, pay and conditions through negotiations. But where this cannot be done, I will talk with reps and members to devise a fighting campaign of strike action and other actions to win our demands.
"If elected, I will initiate a widespread fight against the government and London Mayor to restore our funding and reverse cuts. I am a member of the Socialist Party and I am committed to RMT's socialist aims. This includes opposing all cuts and privatisation.
"I will continue RMT's support for a Corbyn-led Labour government with policies that include repealing anti-union laws and renationalisation of rail. I will oppose our union giving money to any politician who does not share RMT's principles.
"I will make myself available to reps and members. I will strive with reps and activists for equality for all in the workplace and to defend members under attack from management. I believe that giving effective support to our network of local reps and activists is an essential part of representing members at NEC level."
Ballot Papers will be posted to your home address on 21 October 2019.
- Search JaredWood4NEC on Facebook for full programme and more details
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 9 October 2019:
What we think
Labour and workers' rights
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns