Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1066/29947
Plymouth Blairites use Tory policies to side with anti-tenant landlords
Rob Rooney, Cornwall Socialist Party
Labour's manifesto seems to have struck a chord with working-class people. It gives us hope that austerity may be coming to an end.
But this poster, pinned up at the children's social work HQ for Plymouth Council, shows Tory philosophy dictates the actions of Labour-run local authorities.
Plymouth is run by a tight-knit cabal of Labour right-wing career politicians. This poster says they have no qualms about hounding tenants.
The idea of fighting the bedroom tax, benefit cap, two-children benefit cut-off, harassment of sick and disabled people with 'fitness to work' tests, Universal Credit or actually building council houses is foreign to these class traitors.
Social workers employed by Plymouth Council are clearly expected to destroy any relationship they have with families in need by reporting 'suspected fraud'.
Nothing could demonstrate more clearly that the stance towards struggling families is informed by old, cruel, self-serving, divide-and-rule ideas - 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor, or that poverty is the sufferer's fault or a 'lifestyle choice'.
If a Corbyn-led government is elected, the rotten right-wing in Plymouth Labour Party will have to be removed before people feel any benefit.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 27 November 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns