Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1066/29952
Help fund the fightback: sponsor my marathon
Paul Couchman, Staines Socialist Party
In 2015 I had a major heart attack. It is fair to say that the NHS and their dedicated staff saved my life.
Although I have been a member of the Socialist Party (and the Militant before it) for nearly 40 years, I saw this scary event as a wake-up call to redouble my efforts to build the party and to improve my health.
Since then I have lost a third of my body weight and taken up regular exercise, doing a park run most weekends. I have decided to enter a marathon next year - five years since my heart attack - and what better cause could there be than the Socialist Party fighting fund?
Friends, family and comrades can either donate on the Socialist Party website stating it's to support my run, make a donation via your local Socialist Party branch, or visit my Just Giving page.
I will update everyone after I have completed the run in May next year. I am hoping to raise £1,000. Nearly £300 has already been donated or pledged, including £75 from delegates on the Unison South East regional council.
- Visit socialistparty.org.uk/donate and add the note 'Paul Couchman marathon'
- Or visit justgiving.com/crowdfunding/paul-couchman-marathon
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 27 November 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns