Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1074/30294
CWU: Build for a massive Yes vote in Royal Mail
The Communication Workers Union (CWU) is reballoting members in Royal Mail over management bullying and the company reneging on the 'Four Pillars' agreement - which established employment, standard of living and retirement security, and a shorter working week.
Last year the High Court dismissed the appeal by the CWU against the scandalous decision to stop postal workers taking national strike, despite winning its strike ballot with an incredible 97% yes vote on a 76% turnout.
Gary Clark, Socialist Party member and branch secretary of CWU Scotland no.2 branch, says: "To be clear management are out to destroy the power of the CWU and must feel strengthened by the election of the Tory government. And we are clearly in for the fight of our lives.
"We must now get another massive Yes vote and get our members up for the battle ahead."
The CWU is organising gate meetings at Royal Mail depots around the country on 25 February.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 13 November 2019:
What we think
Socialist Party news and analysis
International socialist news and analysis
Workplace news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns