Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/521/3798
Hospitals "stacking" patients
THE GOVERNMENT has a long-standing promise that all out-patients are treated within four hours of admission to accident and emergency units. But a health trade union has revealed that thousands of seriously ill patients are suffering to meet this pledge.
Ambulances are being used as waiting rooms outside hospital emergency units to 'stack up' patients, so treatment can be said to have been completed within four hours of entering the hospital. This causes widespread distress and some patients have died during these enforced waits.
An official of Unison, the union representing many ambulance workers, said that:. "A fully equipped ambulance and a fully trained ambulance crew are effectively babysitting patients when they should be out there dealing with emergencies. Ambulances should not be used as mobile waiting rooms. They should be freed up to do their job."
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 20 February 2008:
Socialist Party news
Socialist Party Marxist analysis
Socialist Party NHS campaign
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party review
Socialist Party workplace news
Workplace news in brief