Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/540/6223
From The Socialist newspaper, 2 July 2008
Hands off our NHS!
On its 60th anniversary, we call for a mass campaign to defend our health service
On the 'Save the NHS' march, 3 November 2007 , photo Paul Mattsson
- End big business profiteering out of the NHS! Abandon the Private Finance Initiative (PFI). No to private polyclinics replacing local GP surgeries.
- Place all health services and buildings under public ownership. For a well-funded service, free at the point of use, to provide for everyone's health needs.
- Abolish the business competition of 'internal market', trusts, and 'payment by results'.
- End NHS job losses and low pay. Give health workers an above-inflation pay increase.
- Nationalise the pharmaceutical and medical supply industries, and all private health providers, with compensation paid only on the basis of proven need. Bring them under working-class control and management.
- For a socialist programme to end poverty and inequality - the biggest killers and causes of ill health.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
In The Socialist 2 July 2008:
Hands off our NHS!
Feature: 60 years of the NHS
Socialist Party campaigns
Local government strike action: Workers say: 'enough is enough!'
Fight Labour's welfare privatisation
91% of pay deals are below inflation
Workers united against pay freeze
Socialist Party news and analysis
Education - class segregation grows
Boris Johnson reveals his real policies
Royals down to their last crown?
Union support for demo to stop BNP 'festival'
National Shop Stewards Network
National Shop Stewards Network: Rebuilding trade union strength
Campaign for a New Workers Party
Campaign for a New Workers' Party
Obituary: Terry Fields
Socialist Party LGBT
LGBT London Pride: No to homophobia
International socialist news and analysis
Mugabe clique tightens its grip on Zimbabwe
Big oil returns to Iraq
Poland: Thousands join 'hands off the Labour Code' demo
Socialist Party workplace news
PCS shows action gets results
Visteon workers win 5%
For a fighting, democratic Usdaw
Tube cleaners in pay strike
Victory for Belfast Airport shop stewards
East London street cleaners fight privatised employer
The Socialist 2 July 2008 |
Join the Socialist
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 07748 534 891
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041