Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/573/7108
Shut down the university! The call went out loud and clear on the evening of 30 March. And it came from the management of the University of East London.
The aim is to stop the alternative summit planned for 1 April as a counterweight to the G20 a little further down the road at the ExCel centre on the following day.
Citing security fears, the announcement was made unilaterally, without any consultation with lecturers, staff or students that the whole university would be shut on 1 and 2 April. And, early in the morning of 31 March, security guards were in place checking people's IDs.
This is an attack on fundamental democratic rights. Authoritarian powers are being used to suppress opposition to the effects of the recession and the capitalist system responsible for it.
All that the establishment politicians and mainstream media bang on about is the alleged threat to the rich elite in society, the architects of the economic crisis ruining the lives of millions of people around the world.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 31 March 2009:
Socialist Party workplace news
Socialist Party Marxist analysis
Socialist Party election campaign
Socialist Party campaigns
International socialist news and analysis