Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/588/7554
From The Socialist newspaper, 22 July 2009
Pensions: We say
SOCIALIST MEASURES to provide decent pensions would include ending the hundreds of billions in tax cuts to big business and taxing these companies' mega-profits to allow:
- An immediate 50% increase in the state pension as a step towards a living pension.
- Reinstate the link with average earnings now.
- Part-time work with part pension to bridge the gap between work and retirement for those that want it.
- For full compensation, paid for by government, of all victims of pension scandals and/or pension mis-selling.
- Take pension provision out of the hands of private speculators. For the right to retire at 55.
Donate to the Socialist Party
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our Fighting Fund.
In The Socialist 22 July 2009:
Corus... Vestas... Defend every job!
No Job Cuts
Vestas: Support the occupation
Vestas jobs fightback
Action to save steel jobs at Corus
Defend the Four: Protest at the Unison witch-hunt
Unison witch-hunt verdict causes outrage amongst trade unionists
Youth fight for jobs
Youth fight for jobs fortnight of action
National strike action to halt attacks on workers and our postal services
Tube workers' action wins concessions
South Yorkshire First Buses strike over pay
London Met Uni strike
Every little helps Tesco's as they attack workers
Teachers strike against job cuts
Care homes public meeting
Union action to fight the attacks on our pensions
Pensions - in brief
Pensions: We say
BNP get police to arrest socialists
Lincoln fights back against racist BNP
Stop the BNP's 'festival' of hate
Rock Against Racism
Socialist Party campaigns
Keep Deptford Jobcentre open!
Build the Tamil Solidarity campaign
Devon residents against incinerators: Alternative waste schemes needed
Another stepping stone towards health privatisation
Marxist analysis: history
20th anniversary of Soviet miners' strike
40th anniversary of the moon landing What steps has humanity taken?
The Socialist 22 July 2009 |
Join the Socialist
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Email: [email protected]
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 078 0983 9793