Link to this page: https://secure.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1071/30181
The Socialist 29 January 2020 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
PCS union elections: Nominate candidates fighting austerity and for union democracy
PCS members on strike at BEIS, photo Helen Pattison (Click to enlarge)
Marion Lloyd, Broad Left Network candidate for PCS President and national executive committee member (personal capacity)
When I stood to be general secretary nearly 10,000 PCS union members voted for my campaign, to rebuild a fighting democratic union.
My vote showed that members are looking for a change in leadership that will build a national campaign to resist the Tory austerity programme.
I believe members are looking for a new union leadership and a fresh approach. I believe this is provided by the PCS Broad Left Network (BLN).
The newly formed BLN is made up of socialists from across the PCS, a union of civil servants and private sector workers on government contracts. The BLN's purpose is to put forward candidates in the upcoming PCS elections and to fight for its ideas and programme on a daily basis at every level of the union.
The BLN is supporting a diverse group of candidates in the election, all of whom are committed to fighting against austerity and for union democracy.
The Broad Left Network programme includes:
- A national campaign on pay, pensions, redundancy rights, office closures and the growing threat to jobs.
- An open, inclusive discussion of how best to overcome the Tory anti-union laws and win a mandate for national strike action.
- A democratic union accountable to its members and elected representatives. For the election of key officials.
- Equal rights and opportunities for all members starting with the workplace and union branches - no discrimination.
- Recognising the threat of climate change and prioritising action to combat it.
- A strong political voice and strategy which gives support to those who back our union, our members and our policies.
I am supported by the BLN to stand to be the union's president. I've been active in the union since joining the civil service at 16.
Currently I am president of the PCS group of the government's Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and for many years have been a member of the PCS national executive committee.
I have led a number of campaigns and disputes with successful outcomes and I am an experienced negotiator.
The other BLN-supported candidates in these elections have similar records to my own. All of them socialists and all respected activists in the union.
We stand for action - not words. We are seeking branch nominations for BLN-supported candidates.
Join the BLN, support our campaign to rebuild PCS and the left in the union.
- For more information and to get involved visit pcsbln.wordpress.com
PCS NEC elections 2020
Please nominate the following candidates
Lloyd Marion (BEIS)
Brittle Fiona (Scottish Government), Brown Sarah (Met Police), Holbourne Zita (BEIS), Semple Dave (DWP)
National Executive Committee members
Appleby Angela (DBS)
Bartlett Dave (MOJ)
Borland Rebecca (Home Office)
Brittle Fiona (Scot Gov)
Brown Sarah (Met Police)
Bryant Clive (HMRC)
Denman Kevin (Met Police)
Foxton Gill (DfE)
Guinnane Paul (DWP)
Heemskerk Rachel (DWP)
Hendry Kris (HMRC)
Lowry Tom (DWP)
Lloyd Marion (BEIS)
Parker Nick (BEIS)
Rees Dave (DWP)
Ritchie Rob (Met Police)
Semple Dave (DWP)
Thomas Roger (PINS)
Tweedale Saorsa-Amatheia (DWP)
Vickers Dave (NPPS)
Wesley Hector (HMRC)
Williams Katrine (DWP)
Worswick Craig (DWP)
Young Colin (DfE)