All Campaigns subcategories:
Local government keywords:
Council union responds to Grenfell
Council workers in Kensington have been on the front line of dealing with the aftermath of the Grenfell fire. Sonya Howard, secretary of the Kensington and Chelsea branch of public service union Unison, wrote about the situation for the union's conference bulletin. The Socialist prints an edited version of Sonya's article here with her permission.
There are no words to describe the shock and utter horror felt by Kensington and Chelsea Unison branch at the loss of life at Grenfell Tower.
From day one following the fire, our members were on the ground arranging accommodation for those victims, unloading lorries and distributing items.
Some allegations regarding council workers' response have meant frontline staff in the relief effort have been put in the firing line.
There are some problems with information trickling down to officers on the ground. But our members have stated they will not house victims out of the borough.
It is clear that the policies of austerity, cuts, privatisation and the use of subcontractors on the cheap have all played their part in the disaster.
Justice for victims is required and those who are truly responsible should be held to account. Unison has been supporting our members and the branch.
Our community is broken, but we will mend it. My love and solidarity is with the victims, their families, friends and the whole community.
Read more - urgent action needed
- How working class communities can organise to fight for safety
- After Grenfell - fight for safe homes
- Camden evacuation - residents expose risks - Blairites duck responsibility
- Grenfell fire compounded by overcrowding: build more council homes now
- Reports: organising to fight for safe homes after Grenfell
Previous reports and analysis
- Massive failings led to Grenfell Tower fire - rapid, fully funded action now
- Whole establishment exposed for role in Grenfell fire
- Anger and grief on moving Grenfell marches
- Unions call for action after Grenfell
8 Apr Tory lies cost lives
6 Apr End of the Corbyn era
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 07748 534 891
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041